DAVID SNODDY was born Nov 29, 1824 in Lauderdale Co, AL, and died Mar 19, 1865 in Danville, VA. He never married. In the military hospital records, he is only listed as D. Snoddy.
David enlisted in the Confederate army at Unionville in March of 1863. Served in the 7th Alabama Cavalry, Company E (Wheeler's Command, which later became the 9th Alabama Cavalry). David was captured at Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 13, 1863 and sent to a Federal prison at Louisville, Kentucky for 5 days and then transferred to Camp Morton, Indiana. From there David was sent to City Point, Virginia via Baltimore, Maryland for exchange. He was then sent to the C.S.A. General Hospital in Danville, Virginia, where on March 19, 1865 he died of chronic diarrhea caused by tapeworms. [The preceding information was provided by Peggy Snoddy Johnson.]
Information about the 9th Alabama Cavalry Regiment
The Ninth Alabama Cavalry Regiment (designated Seventh Alabama Cavalry Regiment until 5 September 1864) was formed near Tullahoma, Tennessee in May 1863, by consolidating John C. Malone's Fourteenth and Zachariah Thomason's Nineteenth cavalry battalions, partisan rangers. The men and officers of the regiment were recruited from the counties of Cherokee, DeKalb, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, and Morgan. The former had organized in September 1862 and served in the brigades successively of Generals John T. Morgan and J. A. Wharton, fighting at Murfreesboro. The regiment was in Wheeler's corps during the entire war. It first served in Wharton's Brigade until December 1863, and was in many skirmishes. It was brigaded with the First, Third, Fourth, and Fifty-first Alabama cavalry regiments, first under Gen'l J. T. Morgan, Russell, W. W. Allen and Hagan, and was constantly engaged in skirmishing. It suffered severely at Shelbyville, and it was involved in the Tennessee campaign, protecting Longstreet's corps. It was in pursuit of Union General William T. Sherman, with other portions of Wheeler's cavalry, during 1864 and 1865, and a remnant, about 100, finally surrendered in North Carolina with the Army of Tennessee. [Information contributed by Dale T. Ellis]
[The following narrative was found at the Alabama State Archives web site: http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/alamilor/mil_org.html]
The 9th Regiment, Alabama Cavalry was formed near Tullahoma, in May 1863 by consolidating Malone's Twelfth and Thomason's Fourteenth battalions. The former had organized in September 1862, and served in the brigades successively of Genl's J. T. Morgan and J. A. Wharton, fighting at Murfreesboro. The regiment served with Wharton's brigade till December 1863, operating in the vicinity of the Army of Tennessee, and taking part, with some loss, in numerous skirmishes. Brigaded with the First, Third, Fourth, and Fifty-first Alabama cavalry, first under Gen. J. T. Morgan, afterwards under Generals Allen and Hagan, the Ninth was in the battle of Shelbyville with much loss, in the severe and bloody campaign in Tennessee with Longstreet's corps, and in many conflicts in front of the main army. During the Dalton-Atlanta campaign, the Ninth was continually at the exposed points, losing severely in a number of instances. With other portions of Wheeler's cavalry, the regiment followed Sherman eastward, and a remnant surrendered in North Carolina.
The following information is from "Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond" by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22, Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia, 1964. Also located at web site: http://www.vcu.edu/civilwar/cwhosps.html.
GENERAL HOSPITAL #28 - DANVILLE, VIRGINIA
Also called: Danville Railroad hospital, Railroad Shops Hospital. Formerly shops building in railroad repair yards of Richmond and Danville Rail Road. Single-storied, brick, building. Had several natural springs nearby. Opened 10 July 1862. Surgical hospital with 416 beds. Dr. Abraham Schultz Miller, surgeon-in-charge. Location: Manchester, Virginia, on James River, just east of Richmond and Petersburg Rail Road Bridge. Present site just east of south end of Manchester Bridge."